Thursday 10 February 2011

Getting Wet to Make a Pond

It might have been "Volunteer Thursday" but someone failed to tell the weather. We almost always have good conditions for our tasks, sometimes it starts to rain just as we finish or stops as we start, today it just rained. Although I got wet chainsawing, which was not that pleasant, we actually had a better turn out of volunteers than in last week's sunshine and so got more work done. We made really good inroads into the willow scrub we are cutting to make space for our Million Ponds Project ponds and we should be more or less done next week.

There were few people out and about on the reserve today but the bittern showed well for long periods and both smew were on Ivy Lake, so those that did visit were not disappointed. The great white egret was not seen all day though, which after being so regular for the last week or so makes me wonder if it has, at last, departed. I did hear Cetti's warbler and water rail calling at the Ivy North hide as I locked up, but I failed to see bittern today, it comes to something when I more or less expect to see one every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment