Wednesday 30 September 2009

September bows out (gently)

A very quiet day in every respect, no wind, no sun (well almost none) and I had to look hard to find much in the way of wildlife. That said there was some, a Common Sandpiper and a juvenile Ringed Plover on Ibsley Water as I opened up suggested a slight movement of birds. During the day the Great White Egret was seen a couple of times either on Mockbeggar or on the pond near Lapwing hide, although not by me. A Hobby, or more probably two were hunting over the trees near the centre and over Ivy Lake, meaning that I saw at least one nice bird even though I was routing a new waymarker, mind you this was exciting stuff compared to the morning spent planning next years budget!

The moth trap contained few moths of note but there were some smart caddis flies, although I cannot identify them. There was also a Capsid bug, possibly of the genus Orthotylus, I have tried to ID it but confess I have failed. No doubt it is a common species but I do not remember seeing it before.

My home moth trap did rather better with one new species for this year, an Orange Sallow, not a rare species, but like all the various sallow moths quiet an attractive one.

According to the forecast a cold front approaches so perhaps a change in the weather will liven things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment