Friday 27 August 2010

Doing the morning "rounds"...

... was very rewarding today. Despite an autumnal, cold and damp feeling to the air it was (and is, touch wood) dry at last. The wind coming from the north across Ibsley Water did not induce much more than a cursory glance from Tern Hide as I opened up (no ospreys there then), but I had my first sighting of the great white egret this season from Ivy North Hide when I opened up - and in fact one of the best views I have had since last year as it fished in the shallow lagoon immediately in front of the hide.

A very fine female roe deer was quietly browsing in the woodland near the Woodland Hide, where the feeders were supporting a flurry of activity from finches and tits - surprisingly when one considers the wealth of woodland and hedgerow fruit and seeds to be found at the moment the woodland birds have noticeably been munching there way through the bird seed over the last few days. Perhaps something to do with the inclement weather?

I was disappointed not to see one of the kingfishers that can be seen regularly from Ivy South Hide at the moment, but this was more than made up for by the sight of an osprey overhead heading south over Ivy Silt Pond as I left the hide. All in all, not a bad start to the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment