Friday, 19 February 2010

A bright day soured

A fine day brought lots of people out, although it would have been better if some had stayed at home. I arrived to find the main gates cut open, although the target was the Hanson plant, so we were relatively lucky. At least I did manage to find the padlock, it had been thrown under the trees by the roadside, so I would be able to lock up at the end of the day.

The sun was out and the reserve looked great. There were probably well over 50 Brambling giving a wonderful show at the Woodland hide, I doubt there is anywhere that would offer better value on these birds. The usual Siskin and Redpoll were also there as well as a single male Reed Bunting, possibly the bird singing in the nearby silt pond yesterday.

Despite the weather I had to spend the morning in the office, but I did get out, planting brambles on the bank near the Tern hide in the afternoon. There was a good flock of Greylags on Iblsey Water, but no sign of the White-fronted Geese so I expect they have moved on. Several Goosander were scattered about the lake and a small flock of Black-tailed Godwit flew over going north.

It was great to be able to lend out one of the Tramper buggies in the afternoon and to someone who had not used one before. They are a great resource and could be used more than they are.

At the end of the day I went to fill the feeders and clean the lens of the camera, as they say "now showing in the foyer", I had no idea just how dirty it had become. Sadly on returning to the Centre I found the donations box had been broken into, frustratingly I met the probable culprits a few minutes earlier. I do know it was intact ten minutes earlier and I saw nobody else about. After a quick look around, I finished the day as I started it, reporting a crime.

I had no reports from around the reserve today so I cannot say if the various long stayers were still present, but equally I had no indications that they were not.

No comments:

Post a Comment