Tuesday 23 March 2010

Another Swallow, but it still didn't

Today I managed to catch up with my first Swallow of the year and the second on the reserve, however if the first Swallow did not quite make a summer, the second did not even come close. It was low over Ibsley Water with about 40 Sand Martins in a heavy drizzle that made seeing far over the water impossible. However, I am getting ahead of myself because this was at the end of the day.

At the start the weather was not so bad, even quite bright for a short while. The 4 Black-necked Grebes are still on Ibsley Water and 2 Mediterranean Gulls were circling and calling, one an adult and the other a second summer.

Across at the Centre the ringers were in and had a good day catching Brambling, Siskin, Lesser Redpoll, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Blue and Great Tits and a Nuthatch. The finches seem to be on the move again with a good few Redpolls about again.
By late morning a visitor came into the Centre to say he had seen the Bittern at Ivy North hide, so I went over for a quick look, what I had was a rather poor view and took an even poorer picture, however I will post it anyway.
The rain lasted pretty much all day, on and off, so pictures were a bit of a waste of time, so the last is of a wet bunch of Wild Daffodils by the Woodland hide, now fully out and looking very fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment