Monday 22 March 2010

Bittern again

First thing was fine and spring-like but later the rain set in. From the Tern hide the 4 Black-necked Grebe were still in evidence, two are now looking very fine, one is nearly in breeding plumage and the last is about half moulted. About 40 Sand Martins were over the lake and a Little Ringed Plover was calling.

By the Woodland hide the Wild Daffodils are now well out and the Moschatel will not be not far behind. At the feeders good numbers of Brambling are still coming in as well as a few Lesser Redpoll.
At Ivy North hide there was a Chiffchaff but no sign of the Bittern seen yesterday afternoon, although it was seen well and photographed later, so I will have to look harder tomorrow. In place of a picture of a Bittern I have posted a Grey Heron that I took on Sunday.
When I locked up at the end of the day I heard there were 2 Dunlin and a Green Sandpiper on Ibsley Water as well as a group of Black-tailed Godwit.

No comments:

Post a Comment