Friday 6 May 2011

A Snake in the Grass

Despite promising weather conditions it was another quiet day for migrants, a single dunlin was all that I saw. As I opened up the Tern hide 2 drake goosander were showing well on the small shingle island to the east of the hide. Both were showing some brown feathering on the forehead, I assume the start of moult into eclipse plumage already.
The moth trap was out last night and fortunately the great tit had not reduced the catch too much, the highlight was a fine eyed hawk-moth.

On Ivy Lake the mute swan sits on by the North hide and at the South hide the great crested grebe pair still have two of their chicks, now growing fast and getting a fair size.

Also for the South hide I reckoned there are now thirteen pairs of common tern established on the rafts, a few possibly now have eggs as well.


I was on the western side of Mockbeggar lake in the afternoon and came across a fine adder moving rapidly through the grass, I just managed to get a picture of it, although it was not going to stop for anything, I just got it to slow down briefly.

I did see my first scarce chaser dragonfly of the year today and also several common blue butterflies, also my first ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment