Saturday 20 August 2011

Darters, Coneheads and a Big Spider

Bird news: Ibsley Water - 3 common sandpiper, 1 turnstone.
Very quiet for birds today, but the sun did bring out some insects, southern hawkers are now regularly around the Centre pond. I also saw more common darters today than I have seen all summer. In the afternoon I came across a female long-winged conehead and managed to get a half decent picture of it as well. The long sword-like ovipositor is very conspicuous in this species.
The sun also brought out a good range of butterflies, a new brood of brown argus must be flying as I saw several fresh ones, also small copper, comma, small tortoiseshell and speckled wood.
The best record of the day came right at the end when I was told there was a raft spider on the Centre pond, it was lurking on, or rather under, the leaves of fringed water-lily and jumping out and grabbing damselflies. I get a very, very poor "digi-bin" picture, others had really good ones, but you can just see what it is. As far as I know it is the first Blashford record.

No comments:

Post a Comment