Thursday 11 November 2010

Wind, Rain and Volunteers

A vigorous start to the day with wind and rain, I suspected that it might have put off the Thursday volunteers, but they are made of stern stuff and nine turned up to work. We were helped by the rain conveniently stopping about ten minutes before we started. We did not venture too far, as heavy showers were forecast, however we need not have worried and we got a good bit done. As though to prove the charmed existence of the Blashford volunteers, it started to rain about fifteen minutes after we stopped work.

Not a lot of wildlife to report today. A drake goldeneye on Ibsley Water was a new bird, I think, I am now certain that the group on Monday were migrants as there has been no sign of them since. At dusk the gulls were good an close to the Tern hide, but despite good views the most unusual birds were 3 common gull and 5 or 6 yellow-legged gull.

Tonight Blashford was on Autumnwatch, note I now have the name of the show right, it is all one "word", I'm afraid my posting of the time was also wrong as it actually started at 20:30, but you probably knew that if you watch the show. It concentrated on garden birds on the feeders, in fact there was one other sighting of note today, the first siskin on a feeder that I have seen this autumn.

No comments:

Post a Comment